Tomato 'Tsekinovsky giant'
- Availability: In Stock
PACKAGING: Sachet Zip lock 12 - 15 SEEDS
1. Original Name: Цекиновский гигант, or Tsekinovsky Gigant (Tsekinovsky Giant).
2. History: In 2018, we received the seeds as a gift from Valentina Oryol residing in the village of Tsekinovka, Yampol district, Vinnitsa region, Ukraine. This woman decided to share her heirloom variety (bred by her mom) with us. According to the information provided by Valentina, this variety is more than 50 years old. But nobody in her family remembers its name so when we asked Valentina about it she suggested we should give our own name to it. Our collection has a lot of foreign heirloom varieties. But we used to have no heirloom varieties originating from Ukraine. Now Tsekinovsky Gigant has become the first variety in our collection to represent the tomato heritage of Ukraine. Try as we may, we cannot find any similar varieties.
3. Plant Specifications: Mid-season. Suitable for growing outdoors and in a greenhouse. Tall bush, indeterminate, growing up to 6.5 feet (200 cm) tall. Thick and firm stem. Regular leaf. There are 3-5 giant plum-shaped fruits per truss.
4. Training Instructions: It is recommended to train the bush to two main stems, and pruning and staking are a must. It is preferable to tie the clusters as well because they are too heavy.
5. Shape and Weight: Round and plum-shaped fruits with more or less distinct pointed tips. The large fruits are rather round resembling barrels. The smaller fruits (on the upper trusses, for example) have slightly distinct pointed tips and are elongated. Weight: 10.6-17.6 oz. (300-500 g). Double flowers can produce large fruits weighing over 35 oz. (1 kg).
6. Color: Bright red. The flesh is crimson and red in a cut.
7. Flavor Profile: Very tasty and sweet with a nice balance of sweetness and tartness and a bright tomato flavor. The fruits have flesh only. There are very few seeds.
8. Culinary Use: Perfect for fresh salads, juices and thick sauces. A good choice for slicing or canning as slices.