Tomato 'Orlov Yellow Giant'
- Availability: In Stock
PACKAGING: Sachet Zip lock 12 - 15 SEEDS
A Russian heirloom variety named after Count Alexei Orlov. A large yellow and orange tomato.
1. Original Name: Orlov Yellow Giant. This variety should not be confused with Graf Orlov F1 (Count Orlov F1) developed by Aelita.
2. History: Obtained by Seedfest from the city of Smolensk in 1998. There is a version that this variety dates back to the times of Count Alexei Orlov, a Russian war hero of the 18th century and an ally of Catherine the Great.
3. Plant Specifications: Mid-season. A good choice for growing outdoors but a heavy cropper when growing in a greenhouse. Indeterminate, tall bush, growing 6.5 feet (200 cm) tall. Thick stem, broad potato leaves. Regular truss, 4-5 fruits per truss.
4. Training Instructions: The bush can be trained to one or two main stems. Pruning and staking are a must.
5. Shape and Weight: Beefsteak fruits with shallow ribs near the stem end. Weight: 10.6-17.6 oz. (300-500 g).
6. Color: Bright yellow and orange without any green spots near the stem end.
7. Flavor Profile: A pleasant taste being moderately sweet and slightly acidic. Mild tomato flavor. The flesh is buttery. The flesh is firm and meaty with few seeds.
8. Culinary Use: Perfect for fresh salads, juices and sauces. The fruits do not keep well after harvesting. This variety has salad-type beefsteak fruits with a thin skin but with no cracks on the skin.
A stable variety. A heavy cropper!