- Availability: In Stock
PACKAGING: Sachet Zip lock 12 - 15 SEEDS
Beautiful clusters with lots of very sweet cherry tomatoes.
1. Original Name: Datterino.
2. History: An old variety originating from the south of Sicilia (Italy). A sister to Santasian. Some seed companies sell it as F1 but this is a stable variety now so it must be a marketing ploy. The name of this variety (Datterino) comes from 'dattero' meaning 'date' in Italian. The fruits look like dates.
3. Plant Specifications: Mid-season. Perfect for growing both outdoors and in a greenhouse. Semi-indeterminate, medium-size bush, growing 4-5 feet (120-150 cm) tall. Thin and knotted stems, regular leaf. Long regular or double trusses. There are 15-30 fruits per truss.
4. Training Instructions: There are some special requirements for training these plants as they are medium-size. You can remove all suckers that develop below the first cluster. It is necessary to tie all other suckers, which later turn into stems.
5. Shape and Weight: The fruits look like dates being elongated and bullet-shaped with pointed tips. Weight: 0.4-0.6 oz. (10-18 g).
6. Color: Red and intense. Red in a cut as well.
7. Flavor Profile: There is a lot of sugar in these tomatoes. In Italy, they are often used for making paste and sauces. They are really very sweet! Tomato flavor with a mild spicy aftertaste. The flesh is firm and almost crisp resembling candies.
8. Culinary Use: A good choice for salads, dish decoration, sandwiches, paste, sauces, ketchup or canning whole tomatoes. The fruits are firm and can keep well.
Datterino is a stable variety. A heavy cropper. It is important not to try too hard and not to remove extra suckers. Please keep in mind that you should remove all suckers that develop below the first cluster, and later tie all big stems. The bushes look like palm trees as a result.