Pepper 'Ramiro Red'
- Availability: In Stock
PACKAGING: Sachet Zip-lock 12-15 SEEDS1. Original Name: Ramiro Red.
2. History: This sweet pepper is popular throughout Europe and originates from Spain. There is a lot of information about Ramiro on the De Ruiter’s website (De Ruiter is a brand and a trademark of Bayer Group). This variety started out with a trial of ten plants back in 1996. In 2015, the area for growing Ramiro peppers covered more than ten hectares in Northwest Europe. SweetPoint (an active organization of seed growers) provides all-year-round cultivation of this variety for commercial purposes in Spain and the Netherlands. In a Dutch newspaper dated 2015, Ramiro is listed among the top ten most healthy vegetables characterized by its sweet taste and high content of vitamins A, C, E and folic acid. There are other colors of this variety as well (orange, yellow and green).
3. Plant Specifications: Mid-season. Suitable for growing in a greenhouse and outdoors. Short plant, growing 1.6-2.3 feet (50-70 cm) tall.
4. Training Instructions: Staking is required otherwise the stems can break because of heavy fruits.
5. Shape and Weight: Very long and cylindrical fruits with ribs. The fruits that touch the ground are usually slightly twisted but in most cases they grow on the bush and are smooth. Weight: 2.8-5.3 oz. (80-150 g).
6. Color: Red. The fruits may have green spots at the mature-green stage but they can be eaten at this stage as well.
7. Flavor Profile: Very sweet. The walls are medium thick being about 0.16-0.24 in. (4-6 mm) thick. There are few seeds and they are concentrated near the inner part of the stem.
8. Culinary Use: A very interesting pepper being a good slicer for salads! You can also slice it for pizza, canning, lecsó, sautéed dishes, etc. In Europe, these sweet peppers are grilled, stuffed, baked or used for making paprika.